Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hey just so you all know I got to Guyana today. I am so tired, we haven't slept for about 36 hours..Not a big deal. We got here from a red eye flight from NYC this morning around 7. Getting off the plane was interesting, there is this tiny airport with this HUGE plane parked in front. It was like stepping into a greenhouse. No mountains but so so green, I love the palm trees and we were received with a huge Peace Corps sign. I am re-thinking my packing situation, so heavy. The staff from Guyana gave us all coconuts (they didn't look like coconuts, they were green) but they had a straw in them. It was coconut water, not very sweet at all, but I was sweating so bad that it was refreshing. They took us to our hotel here in Georgetown and we were on little mini buses that only had windows that were down. It was interesting driving through these little villages and seeing the houses that some people actually live in. But then there will be a pepto pink house and minty green one..Awesome colors...One thing that was surprising is that they drive on the wrong, or different, side of the road here. So I sure did get a weird look when I was trying to get in the "drivers" side of the car.. Everyone drives crazy, super fast and so close to random people walking on the side of the road. When people see us they just wave, i'm not sure if it's cause we are white or just nice looking people:) I have my guesses. Everyone is super friendly and have that jamaican accent. We haven't done anything besides get shots and listen to what we are going to do. I don't have any too crazy of stories yet, it rains so hard here though. We were in a room doing our pre-training orientation and I thought the AC was just getting louder but soon realized that it was the rain outside. But super pretty flowers and palm trees everywhere. We have a guyanese dessert tonight...JELLO and ice cream.. It was so good. There was watermelon pieces in the JELLO and the ice cream was super creamy but didn't taste like regular..But lots of rice, chicken, fish:), and the same vegetable salad every night. I have to go make sure the bed bugs are swiped off my sheets in this hotel that we are staying at. It's a new experience and the adventure hasn't even started yet. My group that I am doing training with has about 33 people. Everyone gets along because we are all in the same situation so that is nice. The closest one to Idaho is colorado though, so I have to represent alone. Whatever, I can do it! I have been the most homesick today but being so tired does not help at all. I miss all of you and want to thank you for your support. It is going to be a crazy week but good temperatures, you all have fun in the snow:) ha ha jk. I will try and post some pics ASAP. Wrte me back and let me know what is happening in your neck of the woods. 

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Glad that you made it there safely! Loved reading this post! Make sure you get all those bed bugs off your bed, yuck! Enjoy every moment!

Jessica Tingey said...

yea!! proud of you my lady.

Sarah said...

Just found your blog! Even though you wrote this a while ago and have now been there for a good 2 weeks, I just want to say best of luck! I'm excited that you'll be able to post all your adventures to your blog. Can't wait to hear about it!

p.s. props to you for being able to deal with bed bugs. I would have checked right out and been so done.

Anonymous said...

Hey Krystal! I am so excited for you! It sounds like an adventure your never going to forget! Take care and have fun! Post some pics if you can!